Instagram

Facebook

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Welcome March (my favorite month)...

So since my last post I have received tons of messages and emails about couponers that had an awesome shopping trip this past week.  So thanks!  I love to hear how others are doing. Don't forget that since it is a new month all of the coupons online have RESET, which means you will be able to print them again :) I have a few questions/concerns that keeping popping up so I thought I would try and address them this week.


How do you find the time to coupon? I just don't think I have the time...
Realistically is anything great effortless?  So, Yes you will have to put forth a little time and effort.  Of course you are going to spend more time preparing for the actual trip than that of shopping for the goods. You will also need to allocate 1-2 hours per week to sorting, clipping, organizing coupons. I typically do this while I watch a movie or TV ( I am most definitely going to be the little old lady in the nursing home that the staff will be giving washcloths to fold, I personally just keep busy). How valuable is your time?  If you save $800 a month and give 1 hour of your time a week, is $200/hr worth your time?  :)

  • Don't let anyone pressure you into jumping on board the "coupon craze."  As women we often take on too much due to feelings of obligation, constantly striving to do more and be more.  
  • Although I am confident that anyone can find the time if they really WANT to.  For me it means working my job, coming home to my kids, staying up past their bedtimes for clipping/sorting, and heading out to shop once they are sweetly tucked in :)  However, most of the time I have both kids with me during shopping trips, social interaction and a lesson in economics never hurt anyone.  


People who use coupons end up buying items they didn't need anyways.
FALSE!!  To be honest if you are just starting out, you may not see a huge difference in your budget, however the main difference should be that you are spending the same amount of money that you normally do but you are getting 6 of everything!  Once you build your stockpile (I suggest 6-8 weeks worth according to sale cycles) you should be able to remove that from your budget for a while depending on the item.  Someone asked me this week if I have storage shelves in my basement for all of these items! Uh, No!  I keep my 8 bottles of Laundry detergent above the washer and dryer, and I keep my 8 bottles of dish soap under the counter.  There is absolutely NO POINT in having 100 toothbrushes, unless you plan to donate of course.  Don't buy what you don't need.  I don't have a walk-in pantry (although mine is pretty stuffed), and I do have a garage freezer.  One of the biggest lessons that I have been learning is that I used to make a shopping lists and "find" coupons based on what I was used to buying.  I now look at the type of item (regardless of the brand), and find a sale and coupons to stack with it.


How do you deal with checkout and all of those coupons?
This is my ongoing challenge.

  • Let's start with getting organized:  Make a list of the exact items you will be buying and the exact quantity.  I tend to type mine up, so it looks neater.  

Something like this:
(6) Skippy Natural Peanut Butter 16oz
(20) Propel 24oz Waters
(3) Excedrin extra strength (20ct or higher)
I also have all of the coupons I am using already pulled in a labeled envelope according to what store I am using them at (Target, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS).  ** I do however bring my binder with me... as I never leave home without it!

  • Choose the time of day wisely.  I like to go late at night or early in the morning.  These are typically the most quiet times. Don't go at RUSH HOUR!! Also, if you take your kiddos, plan around nap time for the best possible experience (also ask the bakery if they give out free goodies for your little ones!).  
  • Cashier Profiling:  I finally saw the TLC "Extreme Couponing" episode, and she talks about this, but it is SOO true!!  Profiling...such a harsh word, but let's be honest we all do it.  Judge me if you must, but I am NOT getting into the checkout line with an 80 year old checker.  I made this mistake 2 weeks ago (actually I had no choice).  I was at a Target in mid-morning and they only had 1 check-out available.  She was elderly and critiqued EVERY coupon, and I had a TON :(  It was a sheer nightmare, she even made a comment to me that you weren't "supposed to save that much."  Enough said... this nurse doesn't need to re-hash the event and sky-rocket her blood pressure.  The younger male checkers are typically low maintenance and easy going, and I actually find that most younger males get both of my kids smiling and laughing the entire time.  My son recently had the most hilarious conversation with a male checker about Batman.  
This is going to be a great great month for us.  The blog has also provided me with a lot of inspiration for debt-reduction :)  I guess the saying is true "Walk the walk, talk the talk"...you know how that goes.  I love looking at my savings in groceries, but the bigger picture is that we were able to make a HUGE payment this month on my student loans.  Follow me in the month of March, we just reduced our entire budget to $200 for all groceries, diapers, wipes, toiletries, paper goods....can it be done?  Stay tuned!  And remember, do what you can and give it your all :)






0 comments: