Instagram

Facebook

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Getting Organized, Getting Started, and Getting your COUPON on!

Desiring to become a "Couponista," but can't understand what the heck I am talking about?  Well, I put this post together to break down all of the coupon jargon, how to get organized, and taking that step and just DOING it.
Here is a pretty comprehensive list of the most common "Lingo" that I will use:

Sunday inserts:

P&G: Procter & Gamble Sunday insert
RP: Red Plum
SS: SmartSource
When I list the store deals and refer to a coupon from a Sunday insert, the information on where to find the coupon is in parentheses. For example, (SS 12/14/08) would indicate that a coupon came from a SmartSource insert that was distributed in the 12/14/08 Sunday newspaper.  Remember you can find the date on the inset on the binding.  You can read my post HERE about the importance of saving all of your inserts weekly (I recommend keeping them at least 6 months).
(date of insert printed on binding)


Coupon lingo:




$1/1, $1/2: One dollar off one item, one dollar off two items, etc.
2/$1, 3/$2: Two items for one dollar, three items for two dollars, etc.
B1G1: Buy one item get one item free
B2G1: Buy two items get one item free
Beep: Sometimes the register will beep when a coupon is scanned to indicate that the cashier need to take an action, like entering a price.
Blinkies: Grocery/drugstore coupon dispensers with blinking lights
Catalina: Catalina coupon, prints from a separate machine when your receipt prints
CRT: Cash register tape, usually used when referring to CVS coupons that print with receipt
DND: Do not double
Ea.: Each
ECBs: ExtraCare Bucks, CVS loyalty rewards system
ETS: Excludes trial size
Exp.: Expires
GC: Gift card
IVC: Instant Value Coupon, Walgreens' store coupons found in ads and monthly booklet
MIR: Mail-in rebate
OYNO: On your next order
OOP: Out of pocket
OOS: Out of stock
Peelie: Peel-off coupon found on product packaging
PSA: Prices starting at
RRs: Register Rewards, Walgreens' Catalina coupons
Q: Coupon
SCR: Single Check Rebate, Rite Aid monthly rebates program
Stacking: Using both a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon on one item
UPC: Universal product code, bar code
Tearpad: Pad of coupons attached to a display, shelf, or refrigerator door.

WYB: When you buy
YMMV: Your mileage (or manager) may vary, meaning some stores might give you a deal but others might not
Organization:
HERE is my first post on how to get started and organize your binder.
  • I can't stress this enough though.  Most of the time you will spend will be PLANNING for the shopping trip (looking through ads, organizing your coupons per each store, and creating your shopping list).  
  • I typically will look through ads on Sunday and I follow a lot of other coupon blogs.  I will debate on what I want to buy based on what we need.  I created this binder:
This binder secures all important family documents, calendar for the year, babysitting info, and most importantly the:
 FREEZER and PANTRY inventory.  Once you begin to stockpile and shop with coupons you will want to know what you need and what you have (I printed a fresh page for the pic, trust me you did NOT want to see this before).  
  • One great aspect of stockpiling items is that you can begin to be very selective on items you purchase.  I will NEVER pay for toothpaste or toothbrushes again.  I will not pay over $1.00 for a box of name brand cereal. Isn't it a great feeling to dictate what YOU will pay for a product?
  • I then will get all of my coupons together for the trip.  I typically paper clip them together according to store and how the transaction will go.  Does that make sense? 


So if I need the Walgreens ad coupon and 2 manufacturer coupons I will put those together according to how I am going to hand those to the cashier


  • I then place them in separate envelopes, ALTHOUGH my binder is always in the cart with me (here is a joke for you...you know your a Crazy Couponer when your binder rides in the cart and your 3 year old has to walk!!!).  I previously was just grabbing envelopes weekly and throwing them in.  I recently created these cute envelopes to minimize the waste of throwing out great envelopes.  Super easy to make and I laminated them for durability :) The most important envelope may be the Receipt envelope...keep ALL receipts for Rebates, price comparisons, and it will help if you are keeping a budget monthly to break down where the money is being spent.


I hope this information will help the beginners.  Remember I am also hosting a 


COUPON SWAP on April 16th and will also answer any questions you may have.  As always though don't hesitate to shoot me a message or email :)




0 comments: